The ES (Evolution Series) of locomotives were designed to meet the U.S. EPA's Tier 2 locomotive emissions standards that took effect in 2005. With a newly designed "GEVO-12" 12 cylinder engine, these AC traction locomotives have the same 4,400 horsepower as the 16 cylinder AC4400CW but produce fewer emissions and have greater fuel economy. Possibly their most identifiable trait is their “oversized” radiator, courtesy of a specially designed air-to-air dual fan heat exchanger.
The Union Pacific railroad has purchased more than 770 of these locomotives since their introduction, and is using them to replace the AC4400CW in their roster in freight and Intermodal service.
- Updated paint scheme from previous runs with additional warning labels and printing
- Nose Headlight and high numberboards
- Powerful Kato mechanism powered by a 5-pole flywheel motor and featuring a 9 3/4" minimum turning radius.
- Directional Headlight and illuminated, preprinted numberboards.
- Illuminated ditch lights.
This Kobo DCC locomotive has been rigorously tested for performance and has a Train Control Systems K1D4 DCC board installed to be truly ready-to-run on DCC.
This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 16 March, 2017.